OZtopo V9.5 Release Notes - October 2021
New and updated with V9.5:
- Updated National Park and State forest boundaries
- Updated Points of Interest (POIs) including CAMPS11, free and low cost campsites
- Updated NSW Marine Data - lights, buoys, markers and boat ramps for both costal and inland waterways.
- Add additional marine data for all other states, including Marine parks and restricted zones
- Improved Autorouting - ability to autoroute over longer distances, improved calculation times, auto route over all road/track types.
- Added Victorian and NSW high country huts
- Updated Minor Water Layer. This a transparent layer much like the 10m contours. It can be turned on and off, the idea being to reduce map clutter of small streams and creeks they are not required to be displayed.
**Autorouting Specific Notes:
OZtopo V5 introduced autorouting to the product for the first time at the request of many customers. We have included many improvements in V9.5 but we feel it worth restating our experiences. There have been many challenges while adding this feature but we believe we have achieved excellent results. However, we understand that while our testing has been as thorough as our resources allow, there may still be errors or omissions in the final product. Please take this into account when using the product and report any errors to email@example.com.
Make sure your GPS is set to use unpaved roads, ie untick or turn off the "Avoid Unpaved Roads" setting in the Navigation Options section.
Similarly, within MapSource or BaseCamp (Garmin's computer software) make sure "Avoid unpaved roads" is unticked and the activity profile is to Motor Cycle or ATV (in BaseCamp).
** as of BaseCamp V4.4.6 the Activity Profile of Driving has major routing flaws. We recommend Motor Cycle or ATV or upgrading to V4.5.2 of BaseCamp.
As normal when travelling in remote areas or using 4WD tracks obey ALL signs, private property notices and locked gates. A road marked on OZtopo does not indicate you have right of passage. Weather conditions can severely change road conditions and make some tracks impassable very quickly. Road maintenance on some of these tracks may be non existent so their condition may have deteriated to a point of being impassable.
As a result of any or all of the above, your automatically calculated route may not be able to be used. An alternative route may need to be determined.
Garmin's City Navigator maps offer more on road/driving features eg speed limits, road hazards (bends), high accident areas than OZtopo especially in more populated areas. One of OZtopo design goals was not to compete with this product but to provide more extensive rural and outback mapping. When travelling in these more populated areas and you wish to use City Navigator in preference to OZtopo.